Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Francisco De Goya


The question may be, why is Goya being spoken about on a Rococo related blog? There is a legit reasoning for my decision. For a class I took a trip to the Wadsworth in Hartford. There I discovered a Goya painting, but not in the fashion people are used to seeing. Goya is known for his dark works, such as Saturn Devouring His Sons. Images similar to this one flash in my mind whenever I hear his name in reference to an artwork.

Suprisingly, at the Wadsworth I found an artwork entitled Gossiping Women. I was drawn to the artwork for its nice shades and lighthearted nature. Gossiping Women held Rococo influences.


This is Gossiping Women (oil on canvas) born by Goya. It is not a Rococo artwork, however, it holds Rococo influences. The light colors used for the clothing and the lighthearted nature/subject of the painting are both Rococo related. Compared to Goya's Saturn Devouring His Sons the painting of the women is very bright. It is nothing like the Goya the world is used to seeing. Rococo came about into the world the same way. No one was prepared for the elegant and pastel loving style of the Rococo world.

No comments:

Post a Comment